[Development] New QUrl reviewing

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Sat Mar 31 19:02:32 CEST 2012

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 13:34:52 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sábado, 31 de março de 2012 18.14.50, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> > > Yes. The tests might not pass. In fact, the very first commit had a
> > > test failure which was fixed later on and I wasn't about to figure
> > > out what had fixed it.
> > >
> > > It's all or nothing. That's what the topic branch feature is for.
> >
> > That means in the future anyone debugging a bug introduced in one of the
> > patches will also get unrelated failures in the unit tests, or maybe
> > won't be able to bisect.
>
> Yes, then they skip it.

If the bug was introduced in one of your 19, 20, 21 patches, then skipping all
of them won't do much good.

> > Also definitely not ideal, but you're more likely to be debugging it in
> > the future than me...
>
> If I can, I try to make sure that each commit is testable on its own.
>
> However, I will sacrifice testing for atomic changes. I don't like having
> big changes doing lots of things because it's hard to understand how
> certain changes came by.

Agreed. I certainly never suggested you should squash commits together.

I think making commits which are not testable on their own should be
discouraged.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer