[Development] Deprecation warnings are enabled

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed May 2 00:07:13 CEST 2012

On Monday, April 30, 2012 22:36:41 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2012 19:55:25 lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> > On 4/30/12 9:07 PM, "ext bradley.hughes at nokia.com"
> > >
> > >Too late now. Change is already in qtbase and Qt Creator. Time has
> > >already been spent. Nothing we can do about that now.
> >
> > Agree that it's to late for this change.
>
> It is not too late.
> When we do a SIC change in the public API, the proplem we have within qt-
> project are not our main concern.
> The bigger concern is all the "customers" using it.  They need to do it all
> at once, and they have a lesser knoweldge about the required changes than
> we.
>
> So we can still make it less intrusive for others.

I agree with Olivier.

You might think the problem is solved when you have Qt 5 and QtCreator
building after changes like this, but that's nothing compared to the amount of
code in the wild which is broken by changes like this.

This one is particularly nasty because you can't easily grep for 'uses of the
problematic methods on const QRegExp objects'. False positives would likely
drown it out.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer