[Development] Late API addition in QScreen for 5.0

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Mon May 7 19:12:29 CEST 2012

On Monday 07 May 2012 15:03:29 Samuel Rødal wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 04:22 PM, ext Samuel Rødal wrote:
> > As for the open source drivers I don't know of any reliable way
> > of enabling vsync. There's the GLX_SGI_video_sync extension
> > which is supposed to give a uniform way to sync rendering
> > regardless of graphics driver, but when I've tried it I've
> > gotten the same tearing in a single location issue as described
> > above.
>
> Actually, I take that back, it seems at least Intel's Mesa DRI
> drivers do proper vsync by default, which is great news.

So the question is, if the API for driving animations should be based
on QTimer and per-screen refresh interval values, or if there should
be a special QScreenTimer or QAnimationTimer, which fires a signal
whenever the vblank is received. It could fall back internally to an
interval based QTimer, in case the platform's screen cannot handle the
VBlank signal.