[Development] json api for modifying document

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Thu May 10 05:59:25 CEST 2012

Hi Lars,
The current API appears to make modifications to values instead of the
document itself. This makes it quite cumbersome to modify a document.
For example, to change the value of 5 to 10 in the json "[1, 2, [3, 4,
[5, 6]]]", one has to write the following code.

    QJsonDocument doc = QJsonDocument::fromJson("[1, 2, [3, 4, [5, 6]]]");
    QJsonArray a1 = doc.array();
    QJsonArray a2 = a1[2].toArray();
    QJsonArray a3 = a2[2].toArray();

    a3[0] = 10;
    a2[2] = a3;
    a1[2] = a2;

AFAICT, to change a value somewhere in the document, one has to update
and then update all the way up.

So, if I didn't miss something, may I suggest that we make this like
the QWebElement API (which makes modifications to the DOM tree
in-place)?

Thanks,
Girish