[Development] The place of QML

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed May 16 01:31:52 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 07:13:19AM -0700, BRM wrote:
> > From: Donald Carr <sirspudd at gmail.com>
> > [...]  This is out of a sample set of 110 people, which is
> > infinitesimally small in comparison to the Qt user base. It would
> > be a stretch to call this a statistically significant poll, [...]
>
> [...] But the sample sizes are no better than yours - 114/139/19
> respectively for each poll.  Again, statically insignificant.

I wonder how the two of you came to the conclusion of statistical
insignificance, and how you explain the apparent discrepancy of this
result with, say, the section titled "Estimating proportions and means"
on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination. [1]

I trust the audience would be delighted if you gave some insight
into the calculation.

Andre'

[1] That link is admittedly a random pick, but Wikipedia seems to
be an acceptable replacement for lecture notes nowadays.