[Development] qtphonon's status.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 18 10:14:48 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 18 de maio de 2012 05.54.10, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
wrote:
> This probably means we should keep the old repo there for backwards
> compatibility, and with documentation stating that the module is old and
> out-of-date, and where and how they can get a more recent version.

I disagree. At this point, we don't know what the Phonon developers want to do
with their API in Qt5, whether they want to keep API compatibility or not. The
decision to do that for Qt was our own and does not necessarily imply the same
for Phonon.

I'd love them to, but if they have different plans and little manpower, we
can't force them to keep the API.

Until the Phonon maintainers speak up and let us know what their plans for Qt
5 are, we should consider our qtphonon.git module a disservice to everyone. If
none of them speak up, I recommend removing the module from the build process.

> We shouldn't mix build systems in qt5.git itself. If other add-ons decide
> to use cmake as their build system, that's fine; but any module aiming to
> be part of qt5.git will need to use the same build system as the rest of
> the modules of qt5.git. (This will also be true for whatever build system
> we move to at some later point.)
>
> Distros of course should bundle Qt with the latest version from upstream.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358