[Development] Mutex future directions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat May 19 19:23:05 CEST 2012

On sábado, 19 de maio de 2012 10.48.22, Charley Bay wrote:
> <snip, QMutex future-direction-discussion>
>
> I've followed this very technical discussion from the beginning--
> impressive array of topics.  Thanks to all digging into this, and great
> thanks to Thiago for opening the issue.
>
> I have a question on the point of "recursive-locks":
>
> I understand "recursive-locks" (e.g., "recursive-lock-count") were not part
> of the original QMutex, and were added later.  I understand it's merely a
> count-lock-wrapper around the *real* lock.

Actually, no. QMutex has always supported recursive mutexes.

The current implementation is such that only the non-recursive kind is
optimised. The reason for that is that implementing them with futexes, Mach
semaphores and Windows events was quite easy. By bypassing pthreads, we gain a
little in performance.

Implementing the recursive mutex on top of that wasn't very difficult. Though,
to be honest, it requires constant reviewing by other people. We had the same
solution in libdbus-1 and it had race conditions gone unnoticed for years. It
also took the glibc developers 2 years to get all the locking primitives right
on pthread.

> Further, I understand that "recursive-locks" can help
> "get-one-out-of-a-corner-in-which-they-find-themselves", where the lock was
> already taken by the current thread and we don't want to deadlock when
> accidentally attempting the lock again.  This problem tends to occur in
> designs where the lock is implied for (small) transactional operations,
> *and* for (large) transactional operations that tend to trigger implicit
> execution of those (small) transactional operations *within* the large
> transactional operation.

Often, it's for the big locks that you can't completely assure that no
recursion will happen. The small ones usually protect a very limited code path
and it's doable to prove that it will never recurse.

For that reason, since you have lots of code to protect and you're likely not
to be locking and unlocking that often, the small loss of performance is
acceptable. That said, the recursive lock isn't that much worse. It's actually
quite good.

> I agree with Oliver:
>
>  *) I think recursive mutex don't deserve improvements on the detriment of
> >    normal ones
> >

> From a practical standpoint, I understand why recursive mutexes exist (see
> description above).  However, from a *logical/cleanliness* standpoint,
> every time I've used them, I've later re-factored to where I do *not* do
> mutex-recursion.  (Currently I use no recursive mutexes.)
>
> Do people really use them intentionally (do designs legitimately require
> them), or are they as I suspect, a way to "get-yourself-out-of-trouble"
> when your design failed to account for proper transactional granularity?

There are a few cases where recursive locks are legitimate uses. For example,
in QtDBus, one of the mutexes in QDBusConnection is recursive because we are
calling out to the libdbus-1 library to handle some condition, which may cause
it to raise further changes to the socket notifiers and timers via the same
callbacks that are used by other threads. The change can be executed on this
thread while the mutex is being held, but not so by other threads.

In other cases, you're probably right that the recursive mutex is just a
gimmick to "I can't prove it will not recurse". But then you need to be
careful in writing your code that operates under the lock, like I did for
QtDBus. A recursion from the same thread can be just as bad as simultaneous
incursion from another thread -- e.g., imagine you kept an iterator to a
vector, but the recursed call caused a reallocation.

So in fact, the rules of thumb about locks are:
 - protect the smallest code path that you really need to protect
 - do not call out to functions you don't control, never call back to the user

To protect the smallest code path, you often need lots of locks and lots of
locking, which is the goal of the current implementation by Olivier and Brad
(cheap to create, cheap to lock if not contended).