[Development] UDS feedback

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Mon May 21 17:32:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen
<oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:13:09PM -0700, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> 2. Rename our qt5 tool binaries - the binary names of moc, uic, qmake
>> conflict in qt3 and qt4. Now with qt5, we will have another conflict.
>> Is it possible to rename all our tool binaries to be moc5, qmake5?
>>
> i don't want to do that upstream. our answer is to use disjoint binary
> paths. as distributors fiddle with our directory structure anyway, they
> can continue to adjust that as well. if uniformity across distros is a
> concern, *they* should harmonize it. qt-project.org can host a
> Packaging_Recommendations wiki, if that is deemed to be helpful.

I guess they install the binaries (or create symlinks) in /usr/bin
because that's what is in the users path.

It would be nice if we can make things simpler for all distros by
renaming our tools. What do we gain from keeping the same name for all
our tools across major versions?

Girish