[Development] To "inline" or not (Was " Mutex future directions")

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 22 13:52:38 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 22 de maio de 2012 07.08.34, Atlant Schmidt wrote:
>   But in fact, isn't this much ado about nothing? If I
>   understand current compiler technology, when one declares
>   a function "inline", that's nothing more than a hint to
>   the compiler. (At least at high optimization settings),
>   the compiler can choose to ignore you and compile your
>   function as an ordinary out-of-line function. It can also
>   chose to elevate any ordinary function to inline if it
>   chooses. (Isn't "tail-folding" a common example of this?)

Hello Atlant

You're right in principle. The "inline" marker is just a hint to the compiler
and it can freely choose to ignore it. Moreover, every function declared in
the body of a class is also automatically "inline".

However, for us there is a "gotcha" that is important:

The inline marker has also an ABI effect. With GCC and the IA-64 ABI, an inline
function is usually hidden, so that different copies of its out-of-line bodies
are not merged. The compiler will emit a copy of the inline function in every
.o that it needs to, instead of calling a copy provided from an external
library. MSVC has a different behaviour here.

If you read the Binary compatibility guide, it says that it's ok to change an
inline function or de-inline it, provided that it's also ok for the old code
to remain. If the function was inlined, then the old code was inserted into
the application code and we can't change it. And with GCC, even if it wasn't
inlined, the code was *still* inserted into the application code.

So what matters to us is not the fact that the function is marked inline or
not. The problem is that the effects of such a function would be in the
application code, with the consequences that they can have.