[Development] Binary incompatible changes to Qt 4.8

frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com
Thu May 24 10:17:03 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 23. mai 2012, at 20.12, ext Andreas Holzammer wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to backport the support for Windows 8 to Qt 4.8, which is
already done for Qt5 in https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,22940
With this change a symbol is added and therefore binary compatibility is
broken. I know i cannot do that for Qt 4.8, so my question if we should
do this anyhow or how we want to handle this.

Adding enum values does not add symbols and has no BC issues, backporting this patch is no problem in that regard.
(a nice checklist is here: http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C%2B%2B<http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C++> )

If the warning should be printed is another issue though, I have certainly not tested to run any Qt program on Windows 8...

Frederik

The problem I am seeing is that Qt prints for every Qt application this:
Qt: Untested Windows version 6.2 detected!
And some tools are eg parsing the output of qmake and get confused by
this(eg cmake). I would also like if we would handle such things
differently, so that we are just using a qDebug there or similar. So
that these tools are not breaking.

Thank you

Andreas

--
Andreas Holzammer | andreas.holzammer at kdab.com<mailto:andreas.holzammer at kdab.com> | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090