[Development] Should we change the default codec of QTextStream to UTF-8?

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Thu May 24 11:51:28 CEST 2012

On 5/23/12 11:32 PM, "ext Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:

>On quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2012 13.30.05, 1+1=2 wrote:
>> In addition, this will  improve the unicode handling ability of Qt
>> tools with using bootstrap. Otherwise, tools such as qmake can not
>> deal with UTF-8 encoded files.
>
>That is irrelevant. qmake operates on Latin1 exclusively because it
>doesn't
>even include QTextCodec.

Not true. We do compile qutfcodec into qmake and the bootstrap tools, so
QString::fromUtf8() does work.  With the change of QString(const char *)
to convert from utf8 I would assume that qmake at least partially uses
utf8 by now.

I think it makes sense to also require utf8 encoding of .pro files to be
consistent. Also, that's the only way we can get non latin paths to work.

Cheers,
Lars