[Development] Approver status

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu May 24 22:36:00 CEST 2012

Hi all.

I'd like to propose the following addition to the "How to become an
Approver" section on http://qt-project.org/wiki/The_Qt_Governance_Model:

  "Nomination for Approver status requires contribution or maintenance
   of a significant amount of code, or comparable activitities
   directly attributable to the nominee. The attributable activities
   should typically exceed N lines of new, or M lines of changed
   code, or P hours of activities on behalf of the project."

N, M, and P are open for discussion, as well as the wording,
here, and perhaps at the Summit.

I understand that "Lines of Code" is an extremely bad measure for
almost everything, but given that we talk about a project in the
seven digits number of LOC, expecting N, M, and P, in the, say,
three, four, and two digits range respectively does not appear
overly unreasonable to me.

On a related note, I also think it would be sensible to move the
barrier of entrance to "Handle JIRA" into the opposite direction.
Triaging issues or verification of fixes are definitely tedious and
reputable activities, but I don't think they necessarily need
preceding contributions, nor long term dedication.

Andre'