[Development] Pending decisions on co-installation

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:20:14 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 9:47 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > 2) QML tool names
> > Kai raised the point that many of the QML 2 tools work for QML 1 too and maybe
> > even for Qt 4's QML 1. We need confirmation on that as well as the willingness
> > to keep them that way for one or two years at least. For the tools that work
> > on both QML engines, we can drop the version number from their names.
>
> I think most things are now settled, the main remaining ones are the qmlviewer/qmlscene names. As Chris said, they do somewhat different things. qmlviewer for QML1 actually adds a 'runtime' object into the QML environment and does some
> other magic. qmlscene is just instantiating a QQuickView and then executing the qml. So I'd go for qml1viewer and qml2scene, but let's hear if Chris/Martin have any further comments.

Hi all,

I have not used QML myself, but is it correct to presume that people
will not be mixing QML1 and QML2 in any given project? If so, I was
wondering if it's acceptable/feasible to create duplicates (or
symlinks) of the tools that work with both QML 1 & 2, i.e. have 2
names for the same tool. I'm thinking this could allow users to
consistently invoke all tools using the "qml1" or "qml2" names, as
appropriate for their project. Also, this would free the QML2 version
for development, without worrying about breaking compatibility.

Regards,
Sze-Howe