[Development] Pending decisions on co-installation

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 1 18:15:56 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 1 de novembro de 2012 08.47.12, Knoll Lars wrote:
> > 4) new installation paths (besides the bin directory)
> > The latest patch I've provided creates a grouping of all arch-dependent
> > files  in ARCHDATADIR, with arch-independent files in DATADIR. That
> > change, by itself, is innocuous since it doesn't produce any difference
> > in installation.>
> >

> > The decision we need is on the defaults for those two directories. My
> > proposal  is to have ARCHDATADIR=LIBDIR/qt5 and DATADIR=PREFIX/share/qt5
> > on Unix build that require make install *only*. Again, there are
> > arguments for and against, so let's hear them.
>
> Hmm… as far as I can see from the discussion, you only plan on using this
> for mkspecs. Is it then worth it? Also, mkspecs have the default/ symlink
> which is IMO not arch independent.

I think you misunderstood me here.

I meant that mkspecs moves from "datadir" to "archdatadir" because I'm
splitting the arch-dependent files from the arch-independent ones. Code that
tries to find the mkspecs will need to use QLibraryInfo::ArchDataPath or qmake
-query QT_INSTALL_ARCHDATA, instead of what they do today.

And I'm arguing that it is acceptable because the mkspecs are really no longer
compatible with Qt 4, so any code that tried to parse them will need to be
updated considerably. I don't expect anyone to be doing this, except for our
own tools (qmake, lupdate, lrelease, Creator).

However, the actual installation paths will probably not change:
/usr/lib/qt5/mkspecs for installed builds, QTDIR/mkspecs elsewhere.

There are two proposals here to be decided upon:

a) the DATADIR and ARCHDATADIR split, which causes the source-incompatible
change for the mkspec parsing.

b) the default values for those two: I'm proposing ARCHDATADIR=LIBDIR/qt5 and
DATADIR=PREFIX/share/qt5 for installed builds only, ARCHDATADIR = DATADIR =
PREFIX elsewhere.

I really, really, really want A, but I don't really mind either way for B.