[Development] Pending decisions on co-installation

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 2 15:56:41 CET 2012

On sexta-feira, 2 de novembro de 2012 15.11.40, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > But we're not installing to the common directory. We're installing to an
> > arch- specific path, which the existing infrastructure may not be
> > equipped to handle. So it's entirely possible we'll end up with
> > duplication of executables.>
> >

> no, we don't, because nobody would install both linugist:i386 and
> linguist:amd64. this follows directly from what i said before.

Assuming the distribution splits linguist from the arch-specific tooling like
lupdate. Otherwise you'll have the duplication.

In any case, I've been investigating how to make multiarch work and there's
surprisingly little information for tooling and building. My conclusion so far
is that we don't have to worry about the 64-bit wrapper finding the 32-bit
tools. The distributions will need to get their act together first before we
can fix this.