[Development] Qt5 Beta/Qt Quick 2.0 and Antialiasing

Thomas Senyk thomas.senyk at pelagicore.com
Wed Nov 7 11:21:39 CET 2012

On Wed, November 07, 2012 09:34:49 AM Sean Harmer wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2012 18:47:43 Thomas Senyk wrote:
> > On Tue, October 30, 2012 11:14:46 AM Labs, Torsten wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > we created some prototype with Qt Quick 2 on a ARM board. Its running
> > > verry
> > > well except antialiasing. As i can see in the Qt5 Documentation there is
> > > new flag for antialiasing *
> > > antialiasing<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qml-qtquick2-item.html#ant
> > > ia
> > > iasing-prop> : bool
> > >
> > > but this makes no difference. Is there still a bug?
> > >
> > > Thx
> > >
> > > Torsten
> >
> > In general it's the duty of the platform plugin (I assume eglfs or
> > minimalegl?) to provide a native-surface which has multisampling.
> >

> > The application-level API to request a multisample surface is:
> > http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsurfaceformat.html#setSamples
> >
> > Then set the changed surfaceformat with:
> > http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qwindow.html#setFormat
> >

> > If it's still not working, you need to check what's going in the platform-
> > plugin
> >
> >  - Is their a native egl/opengl-surface which has multisampling aviable?
> >  - Is the platform-plugin using it? why not?
>
> I think the default was changed to request a surface without multisampling
> and instead Rectangle, Image etc were changed to implement their own
> anti-aliasing by means of a trick in the vertex shader.
>
> You should still be able to explicitly request multisampling by setting the
> surface format explicitly though.

Yes!

 ... my last two sentences were about the platform-plugin.
Sometimes they need some tweaking to get it right.
(e.g. tegra2 has it's own mutlisampling-extension and one needs to pass
special values to eglChooseConfig to get a multisampled-surfaces)

That's what I meant with "is their a one" and "is the platform-plugin using
it"