[Development] Qt5 Beta/Qt Quick 2.0 and Antialiasing

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Wed Nov 7 10:34:49 CET 2012

On Tuesday 06 November 2012 18:47:43 Thomas Senyk wrote:
> On Tue, October 30, 2012 11:14:46 AM Labs, Torsten wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > we created some prototype with Qt Quick 2 on a ARM board. Its running
> > verry
> > well except antialiasing. As i can see in the Qt5 Documentation there is a
> > new flag for antialiasing *
> > antialiasing<http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qml-qtquick2-item.html#antia
> > iasing-prop> : bool
> >
> > but this makes no difference. Is there still a bug?
> >
> > Thx
> >
> > Torsten
>
> In general it's the duty of the platform plugin (I assume eglfs or
> minimalegl?) to provide a native-surface which has multisampling.
>

> The application-level API to request a multisample surface is:
> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsurfaceformat.html#setSamples
>
> Then set the changed surfaceformat with:
> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qwindow.html#setFormat
>

> If it's still not working, you need to check what's going in the platform-
> plugin
>  - Is their a native egl/opengl-surface which has multisampling aviable?
>  - Is the platform-plugin using it? why not?

I think the default was changed to request a surface without multisampling and
instead Rectangle, Image etc were changed to implement their own anti-aliasing
by means of a trick in the vertex shader.

You should still be able to explicitly request multisampling by setting the
surface format explicitly though.

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer