[Development] QX11EmbedWidget in Qt5

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Thu Nov 8 10:54:50 CET 2012

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:37:58 +0200, Alberto Mardegan
<mardy at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi all!
>   At some point I might need to use XEmbed, so I'm interested in helping
> out the implementation of QX11EmbedWidget in Qt5, as time permits.
> Now I'm just studying the code to evaluate how much of an effort it
> would be.
I planned working on this as well, but I actually didn't find the time yet
to do anything about it... some of my applications require it, so I have a
real need, but I decided to will stay with Qt 4.8+ until that's resolved.

> I don't know much about Windows and OS X: is there some functionality
> there to embed windows belonging to other processes? If so, then maybe
> we could have a QEmbed{Widget,Container} in QtWidgets?
I made a similar suggestion earlier, and I do have some hacky code that
actually works on Windows to some extend (on Mac OS X there's
QMacCocoaViewContainer, but I've never used it and I have no idea what its
current plan for Qt 5 is).

Anyway, I think that creating a platform independent solution would be
very nice and cool, though I think we should first make old code available
in Qt 5 (so old code will continue to work) and then perhaps add an
abstraction layer later.

Cheers, René