[Development] QX11EmbedWidget in Qt5

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at digia.com
Thu Nov 8 10:58:38 CET 2012

On 11/08/2012 10:37 AM, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi all!
>    At some point I might need to use XEmbed, so I'm interested in helping
> out the implementation of QX11EmbedWidget in Qt5, as time permits.
> Now I'm just studying the code to evaluate how much of an effort it
> would be.

Excellent :)

> I've seen the merge request about QX11Info, which is somehow related:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,26714
> Unfortunately it didn't progress, so it's a bit unclear to me how the
> feature should be integrated.
>
> Should the API be exposed by a separate library which is linked to the
> client code only if "QT += x11support" is specified? Or should it be
> part of the QtWidgets module?

It needs to be part of a separate library, as we don't want libQtGui or
libQtWidgets to link to X11-specific libraries (the choice between the
wayland, xcb, directfb, kms, etc platform plugins is made at run-time).
I believe there's an equivalent for Cocoa or Windows already, but I'm
not sure where it lives or whether it was named support or helpers.

> I don't know much about Windows and OS X: is there some functionality
> there to embed windows belonging to other processes? If so, then maybe
> we could have a QEmbed{Widget,Container} in QtWidgets?

I'm guessing we would have had that already then instead of having an
X11 only API, but I'm not sure.

--
Samuel