[Development] QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Tue Nov 20 13:53:39 CET 2012

I've been wondering about this too. There's zero documentation of it right now, and I guess nobody still active here really knows whether the whole bundle idea works, or not. Note though that the 'bundle' also appears in public API, namely QQmlFile  , which features e.g. bundleDirectoryExists(),bundleFileExists(), bundleFileName().

Alternative: Keep it in the sources for now, but don't install it by default.

> Secondly qmleasing and
> easingcurveeditor really should be merged. They both generate custom
> easing curve strings for QtQuick 2 animations, just from different
> parameters. I'll start that change later today, so if that gets in first then
> there will be no need to rename easingcurve editor.

I remember talking to Thomas Hartmann (the one who wrote easingcurveeditor) about this a few months ago. AFAIR the purpose of the tools are somewhat different (one for easy importing of Photoshop easing curves or something alike, the other for something else ;) Thomas is ill today, maybe we can leave the big merging alone until he's back? Both tools aren't installed by default , so I don't think this needs urgent attention.

> There was also a suggestion that symlinks be added for the multiply
> compatible tools, i.e. that you'd have qml1min and qml2min as well as
> qmlmin so that it's really easy for the developer (just the one rule based on
> which version you're using). I like that idea, at least in the $prefix dir and not
> /usr/bin, but I think it should be considered
> *after* the current renaming as it's an optional extra.
>
> To summarize QML tool naming discussion so far:
>
> In qtquick1 repo
> qmlviewer -> qml1viewer
> qmlplugindump  -> qml1plugindump

That's already the name, isn't it?

> In qtdeclarative repo
> qmlscene -> qml2scene
> qmlplugindump  -> qml2plugindump
> qmlbundle -> move to playground
> qmlmin -> qmlmin
> qmlprofiler -> qmlprofiler
> qmltestrunner -> qml2testrunner
> qmleasing -> qml2easing
> easingcurveeditor -> qml2easing (merge tools)
>
> Does anyone have any further feedback on QML tool renaming before these
> get implemented?

I don't feel too strong about the particular names anymore. But if you're changing the names of especially qmlplugindump, qmlviewer, qmlscene, it should go in fast ! We need to fix Qt Creator then, too, and I guess also a bunch of documentation ...

Regards

Kai