[Development] QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Jana Aurindam Aurindam.Jana at digia.com
Tue Nov 20 17:00:40 CET 2012

>> To summarize QML tool naming discussion so far:
>>
>> In qtquick1 repo
>> qmlviewer -> qml1viewer
>> qmlplugindump  -> qml1plugindump

> That's already the name, isn't it?

>> In qtdeclarative repo
>> qmlscene -> qml2scene
>> qmlplugindump  -> qml2plugindump
>> qmlbundle -> move to playground
>> qmlmin -> qmlmin
>> qmlprofiler -> qmlprofiler
>> qmltestrunner -> qml2testrunner
>> qmleasing -> qml2easing
>> easingcurveeditor -> qml2easing (merge tools)
>>
>> Does anyone have any further feedback on QML tool renaming before these
>> get implemented?

> I don't feel too strong about the particular names anymore. But if you're changing the names of especially qmlplugindump, qmlviewer, qmlscene, it should go in fast ! We need to fix Qt Creator then, too, and I >guess also a bunch of documentation ...

I am quite against the renaming of binaries.
Does qml2scene mean that there is an equivalent qml1scene?
what is the difference between qmlviewer in qt 4.8 and qt 5.0 that a renaming is necessary?

As for qmlplugindump, it is a "special" tool. Maybe creating a tool that dumps plugin info for both Qt Quick 1 and 2 is a good idea.

~Aurindam