[Development] QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:05:19 CET 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Jana Aurindam <Aurindam.Jana at digia.com> wrote:

>>> To summarize QML tool naming discussion so far:
>>>
>>> In qtquick1 repo
>>> qmlviewer -> qml1viewer
>>> qmlplugindump  -> qml1plugindump
>
>> That's already the name, isn't it?
>
>>> In qtdeclarative repo
>>> qmlscene -> qml2scene
>>> qmlplugindump  -> qml2plugindump
>>> qmlbundle -> move to playground
>>> qmlmin -> qmlmin
>>> qmlprofiler -> qmlprofiler
>>> qmltestrunner -> qml2testrunner
>>> qmleasing -> qml2easing
>>> easingcurveeditor -> qml2easing (merge tools)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any further feedback on QML tool renaming before these
>>> get implemented?
>
>> I don't feel too strong about the particular names anymore. But if you're changing the names of especially qmlplugindump, qmlviewer, qmlscene, it should go in fast ! We need to fix Qt Creator then, too, and I >guess also a bunch of documentation ...
>
> I am quite against the renaming of binaries.
> Does qml2scene mean that there is an equivalent qml1scene?
> what is the difference between qmlviewer in qt 4.8 and qt 5.0 that a renaming is necessary?

Differences between qmlviewer and qmlscene
qmlviewer only:
-Renders QtQuick 1 scenes.
-Has some built in testing functionality
-Has some additional development UI (logger window, screen shots, and such)
qmlscene only:
-Renders QtQuick 2 scenes.

If the names are left as they are, it's not entirely clear which to
use in your development. qml1viewer for qml1 and qml2scene for qml2
makes this fairly clear.

> As for qmlplugindump, it is a "special" tool. Maybe creating a tool that dumps plugin info for both Qt Quick 1 and 2 is a good idea.

More work, and for little gain. The primary user is automated tooling,
and even if import authors use it manually they are already forced to
create a separate import for QtQuick 2 so it's no real hassle.

--
Alan Alpert