[Development] QML Tooling Renames (was: Pending decisions on co-installation)

Chris Adams chris.adams at qinetic.com.au
Wed Nov 21 01:04:01 CET 2012

Hi,

> There are two points I'd like to add to the discussion. Firstly qmlbundle
> isn't
> > really useful yet, I'd advocate moving it to the playground or somewhere
> > outside the qtdeclarative module until it's done.
>
> I've been wondering about this too. There's zero documentation of it right
> now, and I guess nobody still active here really knows whether the whole
> bundle idea works, or not. Note though that the 'bundle' also appears in
> public API, namely QQmlFile  , which features e.g.
> bundleDirectoryExists(),bundleFileExists(), bundleFileName().

The idea works, I don't know whether the implementation does (I don't know
how far along it is, at all).

For those following along at home who might not know what we're talking
about, basically qmlbundle is a tool for developers, so that once they've
finished writing their application, they can "bundle" everything into a
single file.  All QML documents and JavaScript resources and images and
whatever else get bundled together and a simple table of offsets for all
files in the bundled directory structure is prepended.  File loads become
mmaps/memcpys of regions from FileOffset in the loaded bundle.  Thus file
i/o is greatly reduced, when loading the application - which can have huge
impact on load times (especially if they've written a lot of QML documents
which define custom QML types).  There is also the chance to preprocess all
of in the input files (minimising/obfuscating to reduce parse time,
rewriting some binding expressions into v4-able form if possible, and so
on).

> Alternative: Keep it in the sources for now, but don't install it by
> default.

Sure.

Cheers,
Chris.