[Development] Documentation, the final kilometre

Paul Olav Tvete paul.tvete at digia.com
Wed Nov 21 13:15:08 CET 2012

Hi all,

Now that we have merged the newdocs branches to master, it is time to polish
up the documentation for the final release. Lars already put this better than I
could:

On Monday 19 November 2012 20:09:35 Knoll Lars wrote:
> However, there is still significant work still to write many overview
> documents. The team in Oslo will in the next days do an extra effort to
> create these overviews. When reviewing the first set of patches, please do
> mainly review the content, not the form or language. We'll do a second
> iteration over the docs once they are in to fixup any potential
> style/language issues.
>
> We'll post some more info on this tomorrow, and I'd like to invite everybody
> to have a look at http://community.kde.org/Qt5/Documentation if you want to
> help.

There is not a lot of time left, so we will concentrate what is most important
for a good first impression:

1. The new overview documentation that was written as part of the newdocs
project still has a lot of skeleton pages and "### TODO" comments. They need
to be fleshed out with complete sentences. Many people here in Oslo have
already been volunteered for this, and we will continue to walk around and
...encourage people to sign up for these pages.

2. We have identified around 130 existing documentation pages that need
attention. Most of these have minor issues that can be fixed in a couple of
minutes, so if everyone in the Oslo team takes care of a couple of pages, we
will have this sorted in no time.

Of course we welcome contributions from all members of the community, not only
the ones with the really horrible weather :) The procedure is the same for
all. Instead of having one JIRA task for each page,  there is a wiki where you
can sign up:

http://community.kde.org/Qt5/Documentation/OverviewClassification

(Big thanks to KDE for letting us use their wiki after we discovered that the
qt-project wiki does not handle editing conflicts well.)

The new documentation is available on doc-snapshot (currently without the
right styling, since we're waiting for some changes to integrate) on

http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qtdoc/

Known bug: Most images are missing.

Building the documentation yourself is very easy now: If you have a working
qt5.git checkout, all you need is 'make docs' in the toplevel directory.

Now, let's go get some documentation fixed!

- Paul