[Development] Frameworks on Mac?

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at digia.com
Thu Nov 22 09:08:21 CET 2012

On Nov 22, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
 wrote:

> That's the point: the conclusion was that the default on Mac is to *not* have
> frameworks anymore. It might have been the case in the past, but recently the
> trend has been to have regular libraries. Apple themselves are now preferring
> that way, by having a full system sysroot shipped with XCode, for each
> supported version of Mac OS X.

The sysroots have frameworks, so the notion that Apple is moving away from frameworks is inaccurate. There are .dylibs as well, mostly for the Darwin layer.

> Though I confess I don't understand why the frameworks in
> /System/Library/Frameworks have headers inside.
>
> Besides, I'm told that deploying frameworks inside app bundles is harder than
> deploying simple shared libraries.

Not that much harder. I don't think this is a very good argument for dropping framework support.

I also missed this part of the discussion. Can the case for making non-framework builds the default be presented again?

Morten