[Development] Frameworks on Mac?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 22 06:52:37 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 22 de novembro de 2012 05.31.50, Shaw Andy wrote:
> > When I was doing the lib renaming, I thought we had concluded that
> > frameworks
> > on Mac were not going to be supported anymore.
> >
> > Imagine my surprise when I finish my first successful build on Mac and
> > discover
> > that frameworks are the default...
> >
> > I guess we should change, right? I'm not asking to remove the ability to
> > create frameworks, but just change the default to not building frameworks.
>
> Since I can't keep up with everything I must have missed the discussion so I
> don't know if this will have already been covered, but isn't the standard
> approach for libraries as far as Mac is concerned to use frameworks?  If we
> are changing from frameworks as the default to shared libraries then will
> macdeployqt continue to work?

That's the point: the conclusion was that the default on Mac is to *not* have
frameworks anymore. It might have been the case in the past, but recently the
trend has been to have regular libraries. Apple themselves are now preferring
that way, by having a full system sysroot shipped with XCode, for each
supported version of Mac OS X.

Though I confess I don't understand why the frameworks in
/System/Library/Frameworks have headers inside.

Besides, I'm told that deploying frameworks inside app bundles is harder than
deploying simple shared libraries.