[Development] Examples packaging

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:38:47 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Charley Bay <charleyb123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maurice spaketh:
>>
>> ><snip>,
>>
>> > My question is, what are the benefits compared to picking the example
>> > source code from the source package directly. Does anybody really want to
>> > have prebuilt binaries in the examples directory? Current assumption is that
>> > you go through the list via Qt Creator and build the examples are required
>> > for testing purposes.
>

> Alan respondeth:
>>
>> To my knowledge the point of having prebuilt examples is for use in
>> QtDemo. This demo application did a great job showcasing Qts
>> functionality even before developers chose to start an IDE.
>

> +1
>
> IMHO, it's quite important for people to be able to "see-and-run" the demos
> before starting the IDE, before doing anything.
>
> With the new dynamic interfaces, and rich network capability, etc., these
> demos should really *attract* developers to adopt Qt, and we want to make
> that introduction as easy-and-exciting-as-possible.

On the new features category, we had discussed a bit the next
generation QtDemo in Brisbane. What would be really cool for the QML
demos at least would be to have an editable code pane next to the
running example in the launcher. So you'd start by just playing around
looking at the running examples, but once one catches your interest
you can open up the code and start to play with it directly from there
(it's also a great place for designers to copy'n'paste effects from).

It's blurring the line between IDE and examples launcher, but it still
provides a demo application with that 'easy-and-exciting-as-possible'
introduction.

--
Alan Alpert