[Development] Frameworks on Mac?

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com
Fri Nov 23 17:19:39 CET 2012

On 11/23/12 16:57 , Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2012 14.20.31, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>> Regarding the installation path, /Library/Frameworks makes more sense
>> than /usr/local/Qt to me. What's the benefit of switching that?
>
> The point is that a global installation of Qt on Mac makes little sense. A
> global installation is by necessity maintained by the system itself, through
> its package management. Maybe MacPorts or HomeBrew could do it, but those
> often restrict themselves to /usr/local.
>
> If there's no global installation of Qt and package management in that system,
> then application developers are forced to bundle Qt with their applications.

Right, that makes sense. So regardless of the installation path we need
to provide means for bundling Qt with your app (macdeploy). Installing
to /Library/Frameworks would just seems an easier/more convenient place
to find Qt on a Mac, eg the source location of what macdeploy bundles.
And I suspect the SDK approach will be even more natural, but that's yet
to be looked into.

tor arne