[Development] repository for the toolwrapper

Nurmi J-P jpnurmi at digia.com
Tue Nov 27 11:03:11 CET 2012

> >> We agreed that the tool wrapper wouldn't live inside qtbase.git nor
> >> qt.git (Qt 4), so I need a new repository for it. I think it should be in the qt/
> hierarchy.
> >>

> > Isn't qttools suitable, regardless of its dependency to qtbase?
>
> The goal was to not have any Qt dependencies, so distributions can build it
> without having to build Qt. Reason is simply that they should not be forced to
> build all (most) of Qt 5 to get the wrapper which they use with Qt 4.

Even if the qttools module as a whole depends on qtbase, it doesn't have to mean that everything in qttools depends on qtbase. They could still build the wrapper alone by simply changing to the appropriate directory and just building it.

> So it should be a separate repository. The repo name qt/toolwrapper is not
> ideal, but I can't come up with a better name right now. Anybody?

Having tools in qttools just sounds quite logical to me. :) Having more and more repos can also get confusing and make it difficult to find things. Simon's suggestion is not bad either, though.

--
J-P Nurmi