[Development] binary compatibility promise

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at digia.com
Tue Nov 27 11:26:43 CET 2012

On 23 Nov 2012, at 11:20, Peter Hartmann <phartmann at rim.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/2012 11:11 AM, Poenitz Andre wrote:
>> Peter Hartmann wrote:
>>>
>>> This situation is different on mobile (and I guess embedded as well);
>>> for BlackBerry10 we have one version of Qt on the device
>>
>> Do you intend to upgrade this version of Qt that's installed on the device
>> without upgrading the applications using it?
>
> yes, e.g. device updates and 3rd party apps in the store.

Well, even for device updates & 3rd party apps, the most sensible thing IMO is to provide a "beta period" for the device update to 3rd party app developers, so they can test their applications against the new versions and possibly update their application in the store.
I mean there *are* behavior changes in every new version of Qt, also patch releases, that's what "bugfixing" is about ;). That might affect one or the other application in a negative way, in addition to the one or other bug that unfortunately gets introduced.

Regarding "can you run an application that was compiled against x.y.z also with x.y.(z-1)", I think that is simply a question of defining a policy. Also for shared Qt versions on devices, it is just a policy against which Qt version applications should be compiled to run on the wanted number of device installations.

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius