[Development] binary compatibility promise

Tony Van Eerd tvaneerd at rim.com
Tue Nov 27 16:32:51 CET 2012

I *think* the plan is:

- there will be a single version of Qt 4.8.x shared by all apps on the device.
- that single version may be upgraded by RIM at some time (ie 4.8.y, doubtfully 4.9.z, not Qt5)
- there would be extensive in-house testing of the upgrade, including testing with a wide array of 3rd party apps
- Apps downloaded from AppWorld would not / could not upgrade the global installed Qt
- (apps can always ship their own "captive" version of Qt if they want, but that tends to just waste space)

Eventually there should be a 5.x version of Qt, but that would be with a major platform upgrade - breaking BC not just with Qt, but with the BB libs,
and at which time both 4.8.x and 5.x would co-exist on the device (as well as coexisting versions of BB libs).

CAVEAT: I'm not in charge of this, and things can and do always change, but I think that's the general plan

Does that make sense to everyone?
Tony