[Development] Preparing to release repackaged version of Qt 4.8.3 with Digia copyrights

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Wed Oct 3 21:00:14 CEST 2012

>>> Can't you push a commit on top of 4.8.3 that updates the license
>>> files, and tag that commit 4.8.3-1?
>>
>> If we do that, we should just call it 4.8.4.
>
> Isn't that what happened also when Nokia bought Qt? 4.4.3 was technically a
> "rebranding" release. I think that is what should happen now as well.

The difference now is that we can not tag this release due to the way 4.8 branch is set up. As all development is in a single branch there is no easy way to have the copyrights in without the other (untested) changes.

And due to the hurry with making Qt 5.0 it is not possible now to make 4.8.4 with the changes there currently are + the copyrights and then tag it.

We should also note that distributing the release packages with Nokia copyrights is incorrect, but for practical reasons we have agreed to do so for a while. It would be inconvinient if there would be no packages to download.

Thus I think we have two options with the 4.8.3-1:

1. Include the copyright change and MinGW fix
2. Include only the copyright changes and fix MinGW in the next patch release
3. Call it 4.8.4 and accept that it can not be fetched from the repository

I am fine with both these. My preference is for the first option as Akseli informed earlier. I also expect that most of the Qt users prefer that one. One way or another, we need to decide soon so that we can change the package to one with correct copyrights.

Yours,

              Tuukka