[Development] Preparing to release repackaged version of Qt 4.8.3 with Digia copyrights

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 3 21:14:26 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 3 de outubro de 2012 19.00.14, Turunen Tuukka wrote:

> >> If we do that, we should just call it 4.8.4.
> >
> > Isn't that what happened also when Nokia bought Qt? 4.4.3 was technically
> > "rebranding" release. I think that is what should happen now as well.
>
> The difference now is that we can not tag this release due to the way 4.8
> branch is set up. As all development is in a single branch there is no easy
> way to have the copyrights in without the other (untested) changes.

It's not very hard to do that. We can apply the change and merge it back into
the 4.8 branch with some special Gerrit permissions.

> And due to the hurry with making Qt 5.0 it is not possible now to make 4.8.4
> with the changes there currently are + the copyrights and then tag it.

I agree on not rushing the next release. But I do recommend naming the re-
copyrighted release 4.8.4.

> We should also note that distributing the release packages with Nokia
> copyrights is incorrect, but for practical reasons we have agreed to do so
> for a while. It would be inconvinient if there would be no packages to
> download.
>
> Thus I think we have two options with the 4.8.3-1:
>
> 1. Include the copyright change and MinGW fix
> 2. Include only the copyright changes and fix MinGW in the next patch
> release
> 3. Call it 4.8.4 and accept that it can not be fetched from the
> repository

4. Call it 4.8.4, apply the copyright change and the MinGW fix and merge it
back to the 4.8 branch.