[Development] QThread usage/guidance

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 05:11:39 CEST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Tony Van Eerd <tvaneerd at rim.com> wrote:

> Speaking of docs, should the docs for the started() and finished() signals
> note which thread these signals are sent from?  ie finished(), even in
> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qthread.html#finished and I think
> in https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,36301,patchset=3 and
> http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/20691/ , just says
>
> "This signal is emitted when the thread has finished executing."
>

> I know it only matters for DirectConnections, but it isn't clear whether
> the signals originate from the QThread's thread, or, uh, the QThread's
> thread.  ie the QThread's affinity thread (which would be true, I suppose,
> for normal objects) or on the thread managed by the QThread.
>

> And if I had other comments on the docs, where's the best place?  Maybe
> the forum (http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/20691/)?

Do you have a use case where the program can't rely on Qt::AutoConnection,
and instead requires a specific connection type? (or at least requires
knowledge of the invoking thread?) I can't think of one myself -- if I'm
not mistaken, developers shouldn't need to care about the signal's thread
of origin; they only need to choose the thread for the receiver/slot. But
if it's important, we can (and should) add the information to the docs.

Post comments under the relevant sub-task at
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-16358. If a sub-task wasn't
created for the page, post in the forum thread you mentioned.

Cheers,
Sze-Howe