[Development] QThread usage/guidance

Tony Van Eerd tvaneerd at rim.com
Wed Oct 10 17:00:15 CEST 2012

I don't have any use cases, but I can't imagine the example recommendation of

connect(thread, SIGNAL(finished()), worker, SLOT(deleteLater()));

working as expected unless deleteLater() happens on the same thread as finished(), via a direct call.  So AutoConnection 'happens to work' because of an implied contract of how finished() works.

I'm not looking at this stuff for any _particular_ purpose, but to
- make sure it is suitable for the purposes it will likely be used for
- recommend how to use it and when to use it

So I'd like to understand how it works.  Maybe that means looking more at the code than the docs.  But the code can change - the real "contract" is in the docs.

Basically, I think APIs (and UIs) should be like hammers - I know how a hammer works just by looking at it.  There is no magic involved.  QThread is still more magic that clarity. IMO.