[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Thu Oct 11 21:09:24 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:54:28AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I'd simply version the libraries.

yes. me too. i wouldn't rename them, though. ;)

> We already do that on Windows too, for example.

only because windows has no built-in support for versioning dlls.
and fwiw, what qmake does is an utter hack which causes trouble on a
regular basis.

your whole argument is built on the premise that the system-provided
versioning is broken enough that we should ignore it and just claim that
different major versions are different libraries alltogether.
i disagree with this premise.
and i dislike what consequences it has for everything else which is not
a library, and the effect it has on *me*, a qt developer.