[Development] Proposal: Make QPen non-cosmetic by default

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Oct 12 14:49:04 CEST 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:21:30 +0000, Bache-Wiig Jens wrote:

> I will leave that question for the graphics guys. I find it really
> strange that the performance impact of this would be significant and
> doubt that this is currently the case but I could easily be mistaking.

In Qwt I have an example called refreshtest that simply draws a curve as
often as possible counting how many repaint events can be processed -
nothing high sophisticated.

I did a quick test with Qt 4.8.1 on my linux box with a curve of 1000
points:

X11/pen width 0: ~480 fps
X11/pen width 1: ~215 fps
Raster/pen width 0/1: ~100 fps

Sorry I don't have a Qt5 installation here - and yes I'm not happy that
raster has become the default setting on X11.

Uwe