[Development] Proposal: Make QPen non-cosmetic by default

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Oct 12 15:17:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:21:30 +0000, Bache-Wiig Jens wrote:

> After all what is the point of doing a
> major version unless we don't even allow ourselves to change broken
> defaults.

There is nothing broken: it's a well defined API that behaves exactly
like it is documented. Your suggestion is about modifying an illogical
API.

I don't know the reasons why the API was decided once the way it is - but
it is so confusing, that I can't believe that it happened by accident
( being documented later ). My guess is that it was following some other
system that did it this way.

In the end it is about to decide if the improvement is it worth to
introduce a hard to find incompatibility to the application world.

> Changing this in a minor release is obviously not going to
> happen so its either now or never.

Thought Qt 5.0 API is already frozen - but if you really want to do it
now is indeed by far the best moment for changes like this one.

Uwe