[Development] Co-installation & library naming rules

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Thu Oct 18 16:42:04 CEST 2012

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 04:11:10 PM Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 11 de outubro de 2012 21.16.56, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:56:44AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > Considering all the changes I am proposing do NOT harm any of the
> > > people that build from sources,
> >
> > they *do* harm. i positively do *not* want to use qmake-qt5 just because
> > it's the least evil for linux package users.
>
> That's the very most important change that needs to be done: renaming qmake.
> All the other tools could be separated elsewhere, the libs could be in
> different dirs. But qmake is the one tool run directly by users, the one
> tool that Qt Creator asks users to locate.
>
> It needs to be renamed..
>
> If you don't want to make it the default, then at the very least we need to
> add the option to our configure script to force the renaming. We need to
> adapt our buildsystem to creating the renamed tool. This is not
> debatable... we simply need to do it in Qt.
>
> I don't want distribution packagers choosing different methods: I want them
> all to have the same solution, the one solution that will be recommended to
> LSB 5.0, the one solution that the helpful people in #qt, interest@ and
> other discussion channels will need to know.
>
> In other words, the renaming will be the de-facto default for everyone using
> Linux.
>
> Why the hell shouldn't it be the de jure default too?

As it turns out, we may not need to rename it. Let's just take it out of
/usr/bin, along with the other binaries. Let's put them into
/usr/lib/qt5/libexec for example. (Heck, distros can tweak that via configure
if they want to).

If instead we had a proper equivalent of "qset" as a real program that would
allow changing between different Qt versions easily, then it wouldn't matter
where that qmake binary is. If it's in $HOME/dev/qt5/qtbase/bin or in
/usr/lib/qt5/libexec/ - I would use "qt qmake" and depending on what my
current Qt version is, it would call the right qmake binary.

Simon