[Development] renaming qmake for everyone (was: Re: Co-installation & library naming rules=)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 18:55:13 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 08.33.28, Ziller Eike wrote:
> Do we have a libraries-only install for Qt5? I have only heard of SDK
> installers yet. We had something in that direction for Qt4, but actually I
> think it's a bad idea, as I already outlined in previous discussions (even
> Xcode doesn't do a global install anymore, except if you really really
> really force it, then you can install the command line tools globally (only
> one version simultaneously), but not the SDKs).

Isn't a libraries-only global frameworks install what we released for beta1?
Sure, the plan for beta2 is a general SDK.

> Frameworks are not renameable, but solve the "major version" problem anyhow,
> so why rename them.

Frameworks are not getting renamed. That would break source compatibility too.

> > What I haven't understood yet is how you select a different version
> > besides
> > "Current" in Mac frameworks.
>
> You don't  select different versions besides "Current".
> 1) Runtime linking is done against a specific version
> "QtGui.framework/Versions/4/QtGui" anyhow, so at runtime the right version
> is taken

Sure, that's runtime though.

> 2) You just don't use a global framework install for development.

A-ha! That's exactly the point, then. If Mac developers do not expect global
frameworks for development, then we shouldn't provide it, we shouldn't bother
to support it and we don't have to worry about making them work.

> Point is: We don't need to optimize for the uncommon case, while making
> everything more obscure for the common case.

Agreed.

So on both Mac and Windows, Qt libraries are always installed on their own
prefixes. There's no global install. That means there's no conflict of names
either, in either libraries or tooling.