[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 02:19:58 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 01.44.18, André Pönitz wrote:
> > Creator needs *some* solution of some kind so that its Designer component
> > can work for Qt 4 and Qt 5.
>
> Why? _You_ call Widgets "done". Why do you suddenly care how people
> handle them?

"Done" still means people can design new applications using the functionality.
So people can use Designer in 2013. We still support it and we need to,
therefore, keep it working.

Even if the solution is:

> > Another solution is to require the plugin upgrade, but continue to
> > generate
> > backwards-compatible .ui files. That is, the plugin that provides
> > KListWidget should be upgraded too, to work in Qt 5, but continue to
> > generate .ui data that Qt 4's uic can understand and generate proper code
> > for.
> >
> > When I questioned briefly the Creator devs, they didn't seem too inclined
> > to do former option. That means we're going to require the second, moving
> > the burden to the plugin developers.
>
> Which, incidentally, has worked for a few years already. Designer plugins
> are not mandatory for successful use of Qt, not even for using Designer,
> let alone Creator.
>
> You are trying to solve a problem that does not exist in practice.

The problem does exist, but so does the solution and it's already in place.
Therefore we don't need to do anything.

That's why designer is not getting renamed. The Qt 5 version simply replaces
the Qt 4 one and, provided the plugins are upgraded too, no functionality is
lost.