[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Oct 19 13:00:04 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-19, Alberto Mardegan <mardy at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> 3) Provide a script to switch, per user and maybe even per $PWD, what
> version of Qt /usr/bin/qmake should generate the makefiles for.

I have, as a distributor, frequently gotten 'hate' in #qt for providing
switchable qmakes.

And from a 'user support' PoV, having to write "depending on what you
have set as your default you can maybe write qmake, maybe you need to
oither switch the default to qt5 or alternatively write qmake5 to
build things" is a much longer sentence than

"write qmake5 to build things".

The advantage of doing it upstream, rather than having me to do it,
kevin to do it, will to do it, jonathan to do it, ... is that
 - the implementation is the same
 - the result is the same
 - you do not have to consider what distribution teh user is on when
   trying to help in #qt, on interest@ or in forums. just write 'use
   qmake5

/Sune