[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Fri Oct 19 13:29:01 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:00:04AM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2012-10-19, Alberto Mardegan <mardy at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > 3) Provide a script to switch, per user and maybe even per $PWD, what
> > version of Qt /usr/bin/qmake should generate the makefiles for.
>
> I have, as a distributor, frequently gotten 'hate' in #qt for providing
> switchable qmakes.

using (debian style) altenatives for that is pretty stupid.

using a "menu" function which manipulates PATH in the current shell is
exactly the right thing to do. that's the ominious "qset" some trolls
have been talking about.

> The advantage of doing it upstream, rather than having me to do it,
> kevin to do it, will to do it, jonathan to do it, ... is that
>  - the implementation is the same
>  - the result is the same
>  - you do not have to consider what distribution teh user is on when
>    trying to help in #qt, on interest@ or in forums. just write 'use
>    qmake5

as i've already written about three times, this is an argument for you
guys finally agreeing on something and actually sticking to it, not
upstream forcing this change on *all* users.

regards (slightly annoyed ones by now)