[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at kdab.com
Fri Oct 19 13:00:15 CEST 2012

On Thursday, 2012-10-18, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> I have another idea in mind for qmlviewer...
>
> You can configure your system so that double-clicking a .qml file opens it
> in qmlviewer. This would be a nice use case to suggest/support, because
> it's silly to be required to write a boilerplate C++ launcher for every
> little app or utility that you write in QML.

As you have mentioned yourself later on, a .qml extension alone is not
sufficient information to determine its runtime requirements.

There is the difference between QtQuick1 and QtQuick2, at least needing a
different view. Then there is BB10 Cascades, needing a very different
application instance, KDE Plasma .qml might also have their own requirements.

The explicit split in Qt5 between QML and QtQuick2 makes it even more likely
that we will see other usages of the QML engine to provide declarative input
for processing problems (IIRC there is a QML based cmake frontend prototype).

Cheers,
Kevin
--
** Qt Developer Conference: http://qtconference.kdab.com/ **