[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Fri Oct 19 23:55:59 CEST 2012

On Oct 19, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
 wrote:

> On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 21.34.11, André Pönitz wrote:
>> The proposal to put all unrenamed binaries in a directory and set up
>> *5 links in /usr/bin to those unmodified binaries was on the table.
>>
>> I haven't seen any reasoning that this is unusable as "proper solution".
>
> It is a solution. We can very well do that.
>
> My only argument is that this directory of "old names" is not very useful.
> Since we can't guarantee it will be on $PATH, we need to change all of our
> documentation. So it serves only for us "old timers" who have lots of muscle
> memory, but who are usually the most capable in creating shell aliases.

There were some other arguments saying that this will also make our life easier on the tooling side, as e.g. creator relies on these names currently. If not we'll need a lot of magic in creator to figure out the name of the tool depending on the Qt version being used. This probably makes adding a Qt 4 target to Qt Creator later on a lot easier.

> But I'll happily implement those changes if it helps!

It sounds like it will be more easy to accept for most people here. And it actually helps with all the Qt developers that will have to deal with Qt 4 and Qt5 builds in different directories.

Cheers,
Lars