[Development] Summary of renaming changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Oct 20 00:06:00 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 21.55.59, Knoll Lars wrote:
> > My only argument is that this directory of "old names" is not very useful.
> > Since we can't guarantee it will be on $PATH, we need to change all of our
> > documentation. So it serves only for us "old timers" who have lots of
> > muscle memory, but who are usually the most capable in creating shell
> > aliases.
>
> There were some other arguments saying that this will also make our life
> easier on the tooling side, as e.g. creator relies on these names
> currently. If not we'll need a lot of magic in creator to figure out the
> name of the tool depending on the Qt version being used. This probably
> makes adding a Qt 4 target to Qt Creator later on a lot easier.

Here's we might do then:

QT_INSTALL_BINS - remains as it is, points to (on distros) /usr/lib/qt5/bin,
contains unrenamed executables.

QT_INSTALL_SYSTEM_BINS - points to /usr/bin and contains qmake5 (at least). As
I said, I don't care if this is the main executable or a symlink to something
else, as long as it exists, works and is official.

Please note that we cannot expect QT_INSTALL_BINS to be in $PATH, so we need
to change the documentation anyway. Either we point to the executables with
their new and global names, or we document how to find them.