[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sat Oct 20 01:31:18 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com>wrote:

>  b) additionally, it accepts an extra argument (-select), which causes it
> select a different Qt version. For example:
>         qmake -qt=5 -project
>         qmake -qt=4.8.4 CONFIG+=debug
>         etc.
>  As a shorthand, the option "-qtX" means "-qt=X".
>  This argument will be stripped from the command-line before calling the
> real
> qmake.
>  Without this option, it will fall back to a well-known environment
> variable
> (say, QT_SELECT=5). And if that is also missing, it selects some
> system-defined
> or user-defined default.
>
> [..]

>  In turn, the official Qt 5 documentation should always talk about qmake
> like
> so:
>         qmake -qt5 "LIBS+=-L/usr/local/lib -lmysqlclient_r" mysql.pro

What's "-qt5" ? Latest Qt 5.x.y available? A shorthand for "qmake
-qt=5.0.0"? Something else?

Also, why not use pkg-config --list-all and simply look for everything
called "libqt-x.y.z" or alike? (I know, I know, no external dependencies is
an advantage and this new qmake is very easy to implement but still...)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org