[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 20 09:30:36 CEST 2012

On 10/20/2012 02:16 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
[...]
> 3) In addition, we'll create a *new* tool also called qmake that will be
> installed to $bindir. This tool shall have the following behaviours:
>
>  a) under most circumstances, it will simply find another qmake and pass
> through all arguments. That is:
> 	qmake -project
> 		basically will exec
> 	$someotherpath/qmake -project
>
>  b) additionally, it accepts an extra argument (-select), which causes it to
> select a different Qt version. For example:
> 	qmake -qt=5 -project
> 	qmake -qt=4.8.4 CONFIG+=debug
> 	etc.
[...]

As you seem to hint in the follow-up e-mail, this is not limited to
version numbers, but can contain toolchain information:

  qmake -qt=5
  qmake -qt=5-mingw32
  qmake -qt=4.8-maemo5

Right? If so, that would be excellent.

[...]
> Additionally, this tool may support options like -add-qt and -set-default-qt.
> I'm also open to adding an option -run-tool= (e.g., qmake -qt=5 -run-
> tool=qmlplugindump) if that's of interest to people.

If you are open to feature requests, here's another one: -store (or any
better name) which stores the value of the "-qt=" option into

  $PWD/.qmake-config

which the qmake wrapper will use as default configuration when run from
this directory with no -qt argument. That would allow one to do:

  cd ~/src/projectA
  qmake -qt=5 -store
  [...]
  cd ../projectB
  qmake -qt=5-mingw32 -store

And from that time on one doesn't need to remember what qt version or
toolchain one has to use for a project, and just always type "qmake"
from the project base directory.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--