[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Oct 20 01:40:54 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 19 de outubro de 2012 16.16.14, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> 1) we introduce a $libexecdir configuration option to qmake and
> QLibraryInfo.  For backwards compatibility, this $libexecdir will receive
> the legacy names of QT_INSTALL_BINS and QLibraryInfo::BinariesPath. It will
> default to $prefix/libexec/qt5, which some distros will change to
> $prefix/lib/qt5/libexec.

Change of idea: this should default to $libdir/qt5/libexec and Linux distros
are under strict recommendations *not* to change it.

Why? Because this directory contains tools that are arch-dependent. The 64-bit
qmlplugindump cannot be used with 32-bit plugins.

Unless distros have a suggestion for how to deal with this.