[Development] New proposal for the tool naming

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 20 11:12:39 CEST 2012

On 10/20/2012 11:28 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> And from that time on one doesn't need to remember what qt version or
>> toolchain one has to use for a project, and just always type "qmake"
>> from the project base directory.
>
> This is the right goal imo, but the wrong implementation.

I'm not sure that we have the same goal -- or at least, I didn't
understand from your explanation how to achieve it. What I want to be
able to do is:

# some steps to configure the projects as desired,
# and from that time on be able to do
$ cd src/projectA
$ qmake               # uses qmake for qt5
$ cd ../projectB
$ qmake               # uses qmake for qt4

Without any intermediate steps to select the version (which I might not
remember).

In order to be able to make this, you need to have a specialized "qmake"
program which decides which qmake binary to run.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <- geek in un lingua international!